Monday, April 28, 2014

The big move! 4/26/14

4/25/14 - The big day was almost here! Moving day... Me and my tiny hamster car got a chance to do some pre-moving on Friday, so I loaded up and made 3 trips after work. Thank God I did too because the real move took all day... and then some since I subconsciously didn't want to bring my clean clothes or dirty dishes. More about that later...

Party ROCK!
It was like playing Tetris in a closet.
I spent most of Friday changing my address on various bill sites and trying to get my important documents in order. I really didn't want to lose them or throw any away by mistake during the move. This is more stressful to me than the actual physical moving of stuff. I put a credit card bill in a weird spot, it doesn't get paid, and POOF... I have a 93% rate for the rest of my life. Here is where I made mistake #1... assuming my upstairs neighbor was going to be there when I moved in so that we could share wireless access. This was the agreement that was made between tenants before I moved in so I assumed... and cancelled my AT&T Uverse service.

I was able to fill up 2 closets and some of the spare bedroom with boxes, clothes, and ceramic jugs and crocks. I wanted to do as much as I could so the actual moving day would be as easy as it could be. Plus I'm a guy. I don't own that much stuff. So basically I did about 20% of the moving on Friday. Not back-breaking labor but it was definitely a plus that I was able to get it done early. It was the least I could do to lessen the workload from my helpers as a tiny thanks for helping.

4/26/14 - Moving Day!!! I loaded up the old hamster car again in the morning and started to move everything downstairs to the living room. You never think you did a shitty job of preparing for a move until the day of. Think of all those little things you put in tiny corners of your house that you may not even remember... You have to remember them, find them, and get them into a box all during the stress of moving. I had an extra stress in that I had people moving into my house at the exact same time I was moving out at the exact time I was moving in to the house that they were moving out of... did you get that? Don't worry. Lucky for them, they had a moving company and a big truck. I had a hamster car for now until my reinforcements arrived.
Back in Stark county, Gina had somehow got the couch she was giving to me out on her porch by herself. My Dad and my cousin Tony Paul were going to pick it up and bring it to the apartment. Gina was going to come up and get her brother Sean's truck. After all of that, everyone was going to meet at my place to begin.

By the way, a huge THANK YOU to everyone who helped out. One day I hope to be able to help you guys in return and I promise to have enough money next time in order to hire movers. We're all getting too old to be manually moving huge pieces of furniture and I'm too old to be moving like a college student... well you'd think anyway.
With the 3 vehicles, I think we made about 4 major trips back and forth. It wasn't too bad although I did feel a bit rushed by the movers that were moving things in since they were way faster and more efficient than we were. Plus to our surprise, our new upstairs neighbors were also moving out... the same day as the rest of us. Talk about a cluster-fuck. Plus, they took their wireless internet with them so I'm stone-aging it for awhile. All that aside, we got everything moved. Tony Paul had to head back before I got a chance to say goodbye and thanks but I left him a nice Facebook post and an open invite that I know his girlfriend will take us up on since she wants to move up here too. Either/or, I'm in his debt. Once we got the last of the huge pieces into the house, I relieved my pop of his duties and sent him home with a thank you and a huge hug. He's my moving teammate and I could have never moved anywhere without him. Seriously, I'd still be living at home. Thanks pop! (even though I know he doesn't read my blog.)

The closest I got to an exhale that day before we finally passed out was that point where Gina and I were alone in the house and everything was calm... Whew... Shit we forgot all of my clothes in my bedroom closet! Not being able to see past moving day, I totally forgot all my clothes in my closet. Was I going to go out in the nude tomorrow? What a 1st impression! OK, well we have to go back. Oh and while we're at it we should probably pickup the dirty dishes I left in the dishwasher. Double-Damnitt!

We ended up getting a late dinner at Chipotle, picked up the stuff, swapped out the truck, and headed home all before midnight. Sure our place looked like a bomb went off in it but we were in. We put sheets on the bed, attached the antenna to the TV, and fell asleep to an SNL re-run. Ya we forgot the dirty dishes again but that was just a bad dream now that we were in our bed snoozing away. It felt like home and I slept in it like I'd been there for years. Our first night.

4/27/14 - We woke up slowly and sore as all hell. Gina had a headache and I had tiny painful reminders of my age all over my body. The people who lived in the place before us (and my new tenants) left the shower and bathroom spotless. There wasn't that whole "When was the last time this was cleaned" feeling when it was shower and get ready time. We did little things here and there but didn't tackle anything major in the AM. We did however find time to have a few laughs:
She wanted me to keep it... she was obviously drunk.
I know Gordon Ramsay had his head printed
on this box this way so I could do this.
We finally made it outside at about noon and were off to Lucky's Cafe for brunch. Of course we can never walk by Banyan Tree, Evie Lou, or any of the other neighborhood shops without stopping in to browse. Gina bought a beautiful new dress from Evie Lou's. It's orange, silky, and fits like a glove. Something to wear to the fancier restaurants in the neighborhood for sure. Brunch at Lucky's was OK  I'm not sure I ordered the best meal and was told to get the bacon next time but didn't this time. Gina liked her Cuban sandwich but said it could have been a bit more flavorful. Her potato salad was out of this world though. We're going to give it another shot but at $50 for the both of us, it won't be any time soon. Truth be told, it was probably the 2 coffees and 2 chi teas that made it so expensive. We need to stick to water I'm finding out.

Lucky's was having an Earth Day activity in their court yard that we stopped by on the way out. You got to decorate your own paver and that paver would be laid somewhere on their expanded patio... or something. Gina asked while I paid. Seemed like free labor to me. Whatever we were doing, I got to help! And we took more funny pictures!

ART!!!

Us being silly.
Once we got home, we unpacked more and started to put the pieces together. We're about 2/3 of the way done with what's in the house right now. Still no internet which is OK with me... for now. AT&T, my old provider, said don't bother using them since the speed will be 1/7 of what I was getting at my old house. Don't worry, I've e-mail my landlord. Oh and I finally found my hair dryer. Needless to say, things are starting to come together. Tonight I'll have a corn dog, coleslaw, and a Rye of the Tiger while I continue to do laundry and organize the little things.

Why did I move? Check out my 1st post with over 100 views and get caught up!:

Check out my other reasons by clicking on the links below:


Leave me comments on what I should experience 
while living in Cleveland this summer 
in the Comments Section below.

Get my blog posts sent right to you 
by putting your e-mail address under 
FOLLOW BY EMAIL 
on the right menu and clicking Submit.

LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by 
clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or
the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment