Wednesday, April 2, 2014

4 more weeks...

A little bit about my blogging endeavor...
My name is Sam and I'm moving to the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio on May 1, 2014! There are a lot of reasons why I'm moving there and why I'm happy to be doing so. Until May 1st, I think I'll blog about my reasons and the events that led up to my decision. Once I move in, I'm going to chronicle my adventures, findings, challenges, and overall thoughts on the whole process.

Now that you know a bit about what this is going to be, let's get started...


4 more weeks...
Yesterday I went to the Tremont West Development Corporation (http://tremontwest.org/) to turn in my membership form. After figuring out where the hell the door was and turning it in, I took a walk around my soon to be new neighborhood. I stopped by Barrio (http://www.barriotremont.com/) and got a Maker's Mark whiskey on the rocks, chips and salsa, and 3 gourmet tacos for $14. Not too shabby if I do say so myself and the food was delicious! The bartenders looked way more rugged than they were and the place wasn't too crowed for 5 pm on a Tuesday. I've been there before and their happy hour deals are a steal which will keep me coming back.

After I was done eating, I walked down the street to my soon to be house. It's actually a duplex and I'll be in the downstairs. This will be my 1st time living in a duplex but definitely not my 1st time renting. I snapped a cute picture of the place (the pic to the right) and the brand new (sorta still not unwrapped) art installation. It was installed as part of a recent streetscaping project that was very much needed. I could go on about the details but this particular piece was some part beautification mixed with some part walk-ability enhancement. Either way it's a great wayfinding point for friends and family coming for a visit.

Next I traveled down to the season re-opening of Tremont Scoops (http://tremontscoops.com/) for some ice cream. Yes, fatty here needed a little treat. I got PB & Pretzel on a waffle cone and set out on my way. I walked around the block trying to find some sort of park or bench or something to sit on. What I did find was human nature's way of telling my that I should have skipped the ice cream cone in the form of 2 twenty-somethings in a shit heap of a car staring me down until the driver yells out "I love your ice cream cone!". I didn't turn around to see if they giggled or if they for some odd reason actually liked my ice cream cone. I just threw up a hand in a quick wave and moved on. I'm an adult and I'll shall act like such... even though I looked like an oblivious fat toddler bouncing down the side walk eating ice cream in one of Cleveland's coolest neighborhoods. Nice!

I went all the way around the block and settled on sitting on the bench right in front of Tremont Scoops where I had bought the ice cream in the first place. A little exercise and humiliation never killed anyone right? As I sat there I thought to myself "4 more weeks"...

Not bad for a few hours after work. You can probably do the same thing in whatever city, town, or burg that you live in. Dinner, walk, art, dessert... Ya well this was a date night that is almost limo-worthy where I grew up. Well unless it was Friday night during high school football season. Then there was that. Where I grew up and I don't have a great relationship but I wouldn't be doing this if I grew up anywhere else. I've come to the realization that it's not the city itself that's the problem. I have loads of friends still there and they have husbands and wives and kids and are as happy as clams. It's how it reacts and mixes with me.

1 comment: