Friday, April 18, 2014

So where are you going to buy groceries if you move downtown?

Consumer Reports Ranks Supermarkets in Latest Survey

So I read the article in the link above and of the 11 area supermarkets ranked, only 5 of them have a presence in the City of Cleveland. I'm not talking right next door in some suburb either. I'm talking about in and servicing the city. Now I bring up this topic because I was asked one day "Where would you buy groceries if you moved to downtown Cleveland?" I stopped and drew a blank... and then I thought about it for a second. Well I definitely know that I would get groceries at the West Side Market. The WSM is one one the icons of Cleveland and reminds us of a time long before grocery stores started to sell everything from rat traps to hot pink shorts. What a treat it is to have delicious food straight from the farm and fresh bakery right in the heart of the city . Who could ask for anything more!?! It's only open on select day's though. So what if I need food on a day when it's closed? Well there's Dave's Markets conveniently located throughout the city. I count 9 on Google maps including Dave's Mercado for Cleveland's growing Hispanic population. Need a 3rd example? Well I'm giving you one anyway! Constantino's Market with 3 Cleveland locations. Want a soon to come bonusHeinen's Fine Foods will be moving into the rotunda of the former Ameritrust complex on E 9th and Euclid right in the heart of downtown!

Well of course, just like whenever I pontificate about the wonderfulness of Cleveland, I was brushed off by the glassed over eyes of a day dreamer who has already made up their mind that living in the city must be like living in Syria. So the point I'm trying to make here is each of the places I've listed have locations in either Downtown or right next door in Ohio City. Plus they are all a short walk from Rapid stations and bus stops. Combine them with a couple of Giant Eagle's, Targets, Aldi's, Save-A-Lot's, and others and you have yourself a city with choices! Oh and don't forget how many things you can buy at a drug store now a days and they're everywhere.

Now we can't have everything but take a look at the maps below and tell me why some of the high end  (and high ranked) grocery stores on Consumer Report's list have a fear of scary downtown Cleveland? I bet the same is for Akron and Canton too. Wouldn't a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods look good in the Arcade? Or maybe in an up and coming neighborhood like Slavic Village? Now hipsters, I know you all hate big box anything but we do exist in America and it's nice for some people to have some sort of convenience in their lives. Plus we're trying to trick the suburbanites to move back to the cities so shhhh... It's for the greater good.


Trader Joe's

Costco
Whole Foods

BJ's Wholesale Club

...I'll save my Ikea rant for another day when I'm not talking about grocery stores. Seriously! It could completely change E 55th St. up by I-90. Oh and speaking of that area, read about the fun time Gina and I had at the Cleveland Flea, if you haven't already, right here: http://365daysincle.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-cleveland-flea.html

And it was only a day ago but just in case you missed it... I WAS ON TV!!! Go here to read about it and see the video: http://365daysincle.blogspot.com/2014/04/i-was-on-tv-then-i-went-to-cavs-game.html

No comments:

Post a Comment