Friday, April 24, 2015

I'm Running for TWDC Board of Directors

To be honest, I was having a hard time coming up with something to write about this week. I was busy at work (even on the weekends) and Gina and I really just had a plain old week last week...well not plain old for us but you know. Then this Tuesday happened and everything changed.

In past posts I've made comments about wanting to help this city out, wanting to be more than just a consumer, and have laid out some ideas I've had about improving things. Well I've officially taken the 1st step in putting my money where my mouth is. I've officially applied for the Tremont West Development Corporation's Board of Directors. This year there are several seats open and I want to be elected for one of those seats for a 2 year term. I toyed with the idea since the first e-mail came out about applying but ultimately knew that this was the right thing for me to do. I just had to put some finishing touches on my application and pull the trigger. 

Tuesday night at our block club meeting each member who was running from our club was introduced and said a few words about who they were and why they were running. I was mentally preparing an off the cuff speech that wasn't really off the cuff since they were words and ideals that live in my heart and sit on the tip of my tongue at all times. While I was preparing and listening to other to get an idea of how to frame it all, Gina was elbowing me and whispering things in my ear making sure that I was going to speak up. She knows me too well and knew that in most cases like this I'd need a little push in order to stand up and deliver...in this case I didn't, although it was good to see how much she supported me at that moment.

I stood up, introduced myself, and laid it all out there for everyone to hear. I talked about how I heard a calling to do more for the city and neighborhood that I love. I talked about how I see everyday in Tremont things that other city are trying to mimic in order to survive in this new era of millennials and retired baby-boomers flocking back to big cities with big urban dreams and ideas. I talked about wanting to keep the success that we are seeing in this city and this neighborhood going and doing my part to guide it in the right direction with the same velocity. As I took breaths and looked around I saw captivated eyes, smiles, and people being responsive to what I was saying. I can't see you guys who read this and really don't ever get feedback, so it was a shock to finally see people react to what I've been saying all along. It gave me this feeling inside...a feeling like I may be able to finally help out in the ways I've always wanted to... a feeling that I wasn't alone.

I may be an idealist. I may be wearing my rose colored glasses. I may be a bit naive. I do know in my heart of hearts though that win or lose, this is the path I must follow in order to feel full in my personal life. I'll use this moment as a springboard to bigger and better things for this neighborhood and this city no matter how small the opportunity I get. I'll feel no sense of pride in winning and doing nothing. I'll feel no sense of shame in losing but continuing to help where ever I can, volunteering, pick up trash, supporting local businesses, and writing this blog.

So now I ask you for your support. If you are someone or if you know someone who lives in Tremont, especially if you or they are a member of Tremont West, please let them know that I, Sam Vozar, am running for the TWDC's Board of Directors. If you're a member, please come to the meeting on May 28th (location TBD) and vote. If you know a member, point them to this blog. Tell them how I spout off each week about how much I love this city and neighborhood and how I only want the best for the citizens that reside here. Please let them know that it's very important that they come out, show their support for Tremont West, and vote (hopefully for me). None of this is possible without the proper guidance and support that a neighborhood development corporation provides with the help of block clubs, activists, and good neighbors. When you don't feel like DC or your statehouse hears you, these groups do. This is where real change that you can actually see and touch happens. That is why I'm excited to have the opportunity to be a bigger part of it.

Unfortunately, if you're not a member already, the deadline has passed (4/1/15) to be eligible to vote in the upcoming meeting on May 28th. Even though you won't be able to vote for me, you should definitely consider being a member of Tremont West. See the information below for eligibility:

Membership

Eligibility for Membership

Membership is granted, upon completion of a membership form and verification that the applicant is:

A. A person eighteen (18) years of age or older, who owns real property or resides in the Membership Area; 


or,

B. A business that is located in the Membership Area.

  1. A "business" includes but is not limited to the following legal entities:Nonprofit Corporation, Limited Liability Corporation, Corporation, Partnership,and Sole Proprietorship.
  2. A business that is eligible for membership is required to designate one (1)representative to act as the voting member. An individual designated as a voting member by a business is not eligible to be a voting member as an individual who resides or owns real property in the Membership Area.
  3. Affiliated Businesses are eligible for only one membership. "Affiliated Businesses" are businesses located in the Membership Area that are under the control of the same person or entity. Control is ownership of more than 50% of the business. Paid employees of TWDC are not eligible to be voting members. Membership remains in effect until: 1) an individual member changes his or her residence address or dies; 2) a business member changes the location of its business or ceases operations.

Please mail or drop off to:
Tremont West Development Corporation
2406 Professor Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

I'll keep you up to date on everything about this including the meeting place when they pick one up until the meeting. Thank you in advance for you support. Take the next step urban pioneers and don't be afraid to fail as long as you can make a difference.





Leave me your thoughts
on any of this
in the Comments Section below.


Get my blog posts sent right to you!
Put your e-mail address under
FOLLOW BY EMAIL
on the right menu and click Submit.


LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.

Click on ads on this page and make me a couple of cents!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment