Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cleveland Dyngus Day!

Dyngus Day is a Polish celebration on Easter Monday and Cleveland does it right! Neighborhoods all around town had parties and parades to celebrate. I'm told that one of the traditions is that boys pour water on girls and the girls retaliate by hitting them with pussy willows... yup you heard that right! The old world traditions always sound awesome and slightly illegal based on today's politically correct world but how much fun does that sound?!? I didn't exactly see this happen unfortunately but I did get sprayed with water guns and hit with plastic pussy willows so I consider it a successful traditional experience. I even got a chance to polka! White people dances are totally in my wheel house so I had no problem cutting a rug. Today I was honorarily polish.
This here is DJ Kishka. He's a polka DJ and can be seen regularly at Happy Dog in Gordon Square. He plays classic polka records that his grandfather and father played and was Scene Magazine’s Best Club DJ 2010 and Cleveland Magazine’s Best DJ 2011. It was like seeing Elvis perform in Graceland. He was energetic and entertaining. A true showman and fan of polka. Definitely a must see!
DJ Kishka

The crowd at Happy Dog in Gordon square.
The place was packed and people were dressed up and ready to party! Everyone sang along, polkaed, drank, and celebrated. If you missed it, put it on your calendar for next year.
The translation of what her sign says is "Give me a kiss" or so I was told.

Yes, yellow short.
Thank you Aunt Fran for letting me hang out and for dancing with me. You showed me how fun this day can truly be. Next year we'll celebrate right down the street from my place at Southside in Tremont. Polka the night away!
Aunt Fran and her brother dancing the polka on stage.

I even got to see Cleveland hero Mike Polk. He's Cleveland's king of all media and a fellow Kent State alum. I've been a fan since Last Call and one day I may get up the nerve to ask for a picture. Until then I'll just lurk, snap a photo, and brag about seeing him at events.

Check out some other events I attended or places I've been by clicking on the links below:

1 comment:

  1. Swatted with a pussywillow huh... sounds like a great time. Glad you went!

    ReplyDelete