Friday, May 29, 2015

The landslide brought you down


Boy do I feel beat the f*ck up this morning after that election last night. For those of you that don't know, I came in last when it came to the people who actually went out to campaign and was even beat by someone who didn't go out at all. I don't even know if the person I beat went to the meeting or any of the block clubs or volunteered or even exists. So, for all intents and purposes...and all intensive purposes...I lost...and by a lot. I'm not bitter at all because the people who won last night were all strong candidates and I voted for all but 1 of them. They'll do a great job on the board and Tremont will continue to be the best neighborhood in the city.

As for me, I feel a little let down that I got so few votes. I went to most of the block club meetings and I thought my speeches were good on average. I had flyers and a huge sign. I talked to residents and business owners. The fact of the matter is that I definitely missed something or some group. I know for sure that somewhere along the line, I lost some votes from my own block club...Kinda like Gore losing Tennessee in 2000. Maybe I'll start saying I invented the internet and become first emperor of the moon (futurama reference). The other candidates from my block club were voted in and as impressive as it was, everyone from the beginning predicted it since we are the largest and most represented at the polls. 1 of our guys got the most votes overall and the others were easily re-elected. I'm sure I'll find out what really did me in somewhere down the line in a well disguised "piece of advise for next time". Until then I can only trust that everyone who didn't vote for me had a good reason not to. No harm, no foul. That's just politics.

I'm on the fence about taking this stellar defeat personally. Did the members of Tremont West send a message last night with their votes or lack there of...or was it just a superficial popularity contest and I was in the unfortunate position of being the new kid? Maybe my message just stunk and no one liked the whole "It's my calling" and "I love the city" rhetoric. Time will tell I guess. I'm not going to leave the neighborhood with the sad Incredible Hulk music in the background but you do get that feeling when you lose this bad. I mean look at it from my perspective. I want to help but if no one wants or needs me, then I just stand there with the whole "tree falling in the woods" deal. I'm not going to stop volunteering, helping out, or doing my part but I know I'm not going to live long enough to collect that Lifetime Achievement award which will only go to show that no one noticed what I did until they had to because I became too old to do it anymore. There's more to this story for me than that.

What next? Well I'm definitely going to take some time to lick my wounds and pick the pieces of my heart up off the floor. Oh and I'll keep writing this for the 30 or so people who read it. Unfortunately I have to be at our next block club meeting where I have the privilege of playing the role of wet blanket to the otherwise celebratory mood that will exist since we got 3 people elected/re-elected out of the 7 open seats. I'm definitely going to guest attend Metro North and Duck Island's block clubs since (from what they said anyways) they voted for me. I'm going to randomly go to others as my schedule permits. I'm also going to start attending some committee meetings as a guest. I may let next month's go since I'm probably going to be a little depressed by the whole new member proceedings that more than likely will be going on. It's tricky balancing your passion and feelings with your responsibilities and professionalism. A new lesson I guess.

Well that's the end of that. It really was a great experience even though the payoff wasn't what I hoped it would be. Next time perhaps. I have a feeling another door or 2 will present itself between now and then. We'll just have to see what happens. Don't let failure get you down urban explorers. The cities you love so much were built upon it because they were willing to put themselves out there and try.



Leave me your thoughts
on any of this
in the Comments Section below.


Get my blog posts sent right to you!
Put your e-mail address under
FOLLOW BY EMAIL
on the right menu and click Submit.


LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.

Click on ads on this page and make me a couple of cents!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment