Friday, May 1, 2015

The Cleveland Botanical Gardens

Before I start this one, I'd be stupid not to point out that I've lived in Cleveland now for 365 days...you know, like the title of this blog. The past year has been wonderful and has really blown past everything I expected out of this little adventure. I'd like to thank everyone who's read any of my posts, Gina, and anyone who's came to visit us. I've rented my house in Lakewood again so we'll be doing another round of 365 days in Cleveland! This upcoming year has some real promise. I have a feeling we'll tie up all our loose ends before the season finale...and maybe we won't...stay tuned! Now on to the show:

4-26-15 - Well after talking about it for what seemed like forever, good old Gina got us a online coupon for half off admission to the Cleveland Botanical Gardens! Now we haven't spent much time in University Circle so far but that is changing this year. There's just too much to do over there to ignore it any longer...plus now it has a Happy Dog location in the old Euclid Tavern! A good hot dog place can entice me anywhere.

Once we parked we took a stroll around Wade Lagoon and everything was in bloom. It really is a beautiful park and when combined with Rockefeller Park and the cultural Gardens it kind of reminds me of Central Park in New York...except most of the north end is surrounded by dangerous gang controlled areas. Not by Case though! The Case area is pretty awesome with the 3 major hospitals, all but 1 of Cleveland's Museums, Case Western Reserve, Severance Hall...just so much good stuff packed into that area! I'd like to see some thick old looking stone high rises go up on either side of the park to give it kind of a Central Park West look and feel. There's a lot that needs to happen before that can however...

Next we headed over to the Botanical Gardens. This is truly a wonderful experience for everyone and if you have kids, this is a must do! From what we found they have 2 indoor greenhouse garden areas. One has a desert motif and the other a rain forest. They have a nice kids area, a cafe, lounge, and gift shop. I'm sure there's more but that's all we saw without looking on a map or asking for directions. There are birds, insects, lizards, along with plants and trees of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Most things are right out in the open so you are able to interact (to an extent...you can't ride the turtles) with your surrounding. There's very little glass separating you from everything there so you can take great pictures (like I did) and immerse yourself into it all. I think our favorite part were the butterflies in the rain forest area. They everywhere and there are so many different ones. They're like little fluttering bits of colorful magic...ya I said it, shut up. Once we were done with the indoor areas we made a quick stop at the gift shop and headed out...

Now when I say we headed out, I mean we headed out because we thought we saw everything. Then we walked around Wade Oval a bit and witnessed the biggest "uh duh" moment of our lives. There were gardens outside! No kidding right?!? I almost hesitated to tell you that. Then I thought I'd blame it on Gina but the truth is we had no idea what to expect until we saw it. Just rows and rows of spring flowers and green grass behind a beautifully decorative locked gate and fence. Needless to say we ran back in to find the way to get into this blooming Garden of Eden...and eventually we did.

There is way more to the outside gardens than you'd originally expect at first glance. They go on and on and wrap around and go over a bridge...It's a great little slice of nature here in the city. There's a large kid's section (not a section for large kids but the section is large) with a jungle gym and project stations and multiple landscaped gardens with different themes. My favorite was the Asian themed garden.

I really really liked this little adventure. The Botanical Gardens are very nice, clean, and well kept. There are tons of things to see and do here and with the 50% coupon, the price was right...not that it wouldn't have been right without the coupon but I'm cheap so it's like a second cherry on the sundae. I'd highly recommend it to anyone especially if you have kids and am proud to live in a city that has such a great place. Oh and don't forget to bring your camera!

After we were done with the gardens, I walked over to the Peter B. Lewis building on Case's campus to take some shots of this amazing piece of architecture. The bending metal front, the curving brick walls, the shadows from a distance that trick your mind... it really is Cleveland's weirdest and boldest building. Thank God for liberal colleges that take chances like this.



Once I was done taking some snapshots we headed to Happy Dog at the Euclid Tavern. They have 2 locations now people and I really can't find a valid excuse for you not to go! The place has got a great stage in the front of the building and the same pick-your-toppings menu. It couldn't be in a better strip of building being at the end of Uptown and there's a metered lot across the street just for there. We ate delicious dog and tots and watched the Cavs sweep the Celtics! New location but no change in quality. I love this place and love the food. 

As if this all wasn't enough -- we went home, took a nap, woke up, and went to see Langhorne Slim and the Law at the Beechland. I think I may have made Gina a believer in the awesomeness of Langhorne. He played an amazing set! He was fun and charismatic even though there were a few drunk a$$holes in the crowd that he had to shut down a couple of times. It's just embarrassing sometimes when people can't shut up and enjoy some damn fine music. Anyways, as always, Langhorne killed it and if you've never heard him, go check him out on any of your favorite music places to hear music in places.

...God what else...Oh I'm meeting with people and businesses and city councilmen and making speeches and campaigning for this Tremont West Board of Trustees seat! It's really moving along and next week will be filled with block club meetings to speak at. So far I haven't really seen any of the other candidates but 2. I'm told there are a lot and I'm sure I'll see them over the next couple of weeks but I seemed to have got a head start. Still more to come on this one...

Sometimes Urban Pioneers you have to be a tourist in your own city in order to truly see it as it was meant to be seen! Until next time my friends.




Leave me your thoughts
on any of this
in the Comments Section below.


Get my blog posts sent right to you!
Put your e-mail address under
FOLLOW BY EMAIL
on the right menu and click Submit.


LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.

Click on ads on this page and make me a couple of cents!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment