Friday, May 8, 2015

The Campaign Trail and Yoga

Thanks to Christine Rinto for turning my MSPaint kids drawing into a beautiful work of Art!
Well in these past few weeks I've gone to a bunch of block club meetings around Tremont...that's right 1) we're a huge neighborhood and 2) we citizens are well represented. We each get a minute or 2 to introduce ourselves and make our case on why you should vote for us. So far I've counted 10 people for 7 open seats on the board. There are one or 2 people running I'm told who just run to run and never get elected based on their beliefs not meshing well with the voting members. See how I did that. I said something without even saying something. Practicing my politicking.

There wasn't much time for adventuring this week because of all of the meeting so I took the time to stay at each of the block clubs and explore the inner workings of my neighborhood. My block club, "North of Literary", past the pop topics of the area, deals a lot with building and business variances since we are partially in a business district area and because our corner of the neighborhood is still very popular for gentrification based building and remodels. Basically what that means is that any business that opens shop or house that gets built/remodeled or other things like those has to follow the somewhat cumbersome and deeply intricate Cleveland building and zoning code. Our little step in that process as a block club is to hear about the project plans, hear about the variances that they need to make to the code in order to do what they want to do, and then to vote as a group to support the requests or to send them back to make any changes we'd like to see before we approve. Yup, we as regular old citizens get a choice in what gets done in our neighborhood. More past that, people have to actually listen to us. Democracy at its finest!

Different block clubs have different things they deal with more often than others and I got a chance to listen to those these past weeks. Some deal with a lot of crime and come up with ways that their area can be safer. Some deal with trash clean up, snow removal, and other things as they trying to help keep their area looking attractive for businesses or home buyers. You as a voter control things as small as getting a new trash can for a corner to something as big as a new development being planned for an abandoned lot. The clubs help organize volunteer efforts and participate in activities that benefit Tremont. They get the word out about other issue that are happening in the city and in other areas of our neighborhood. A lot of times city councilman will attend the meetings to make sure that the direct line of communication to the people stays open and that their needs are heard. These truly are the dirty little 1 hour meetings where things get done and are vital to the success of not only Tremont but to our city as a whole.

I've always said that when you sit silently and let things happen around you, you have no right to complain about them when they effect you. These meetings are your chance to stand up and be heard. This is your opportunity to represent not only yourself but people like you who may want the same thing but feel as if 1 voice doesn't matter. You never know if you're alone until you speak up and see who agrees. Your vote for a 3rd party candidate may not matter in a presidential election but your idea about trimming the tree branches around a stop sign to make it more visible can make a huge difference for the safety of the neighborhood you live in. Hell it pretty much makes you a hero.

I learned a great deal from the meetings I've attended. The Duck Island area is booming with new housing and business that will close the gap between Tremont and Ohio City. North of Metro is worried about crime and what the rehab of the old Aragon ballroom will do for street parking. Central Tremont is not happy about having garbage all over the place and are waiting for new trash cans that they lobbied the councilman for. The 2 South Tremont clubs got a small neighborhood grant and plan on purchasing dusk-to-dawn devices for the outdoor lights of area houses to increase safety in the neighborhood. Different areas with different needs but all with one goal...a better Tremont. This is why Tremont is an amazing place to live and why I want to be more a part of it!

With all of the speeches I've given so far I've had a fair chance to refine my slug line. Ready for it...

#SaveAVoteforSam

It comes from the fact that my name will be at the bottom of the alphabetical list of candidates. Not too shabby right. "Vote for all these great people but save a vote for Sam at the end." I think it's catchy...



I always knew I'd like yoga. I just never got the chance to go or it was out ranked by other fun in my life at the time. Luckily for me I got a day off from campaigning and was planning on going to bed as soon as I got home from work. That is until Gina asked me to go to Practice & a Pint at Platform Beer Co. It's run by Balance and Brews in the upstairs area of Platform (among other beer location). Melissa was our instructor and I'm glad that she was for my 1st practice. She was detailed in her descriptions of what she wanted us to do and that is priceless to a newbie like me. She walked us through everything nice and slow and allowed the advanced people to continue on while I stayed in my beginner poses trying not to slip in my own sweat when I wasn't struggling to keep my balance. Speaking of sweat--holy crap did I ever! The cool down time after was the most relaxed I've been...ever I think. Gina said I fell asleep even though I felt her nudge me and thought it was just her being funny. I must snore meditate. I sure as hell snore sleep and snore wake up alone. Anyways, it was the hardest most relaxing thing I've ever done and truthfully the whole practice and culture fits my personality perfectly. I am sure to do it again as my schedule allows and will definitely attend another Balance and Brews practice. If you do the Yoga or are thinking about starting, register for one of their events. I felt calm, safe, and not once did I feel I was being judged and you will be sure to feel that way too. I just know it.

Oh and we got beer afterwards which also fits my personality. Plus we got to talk with Melissa's husband Sean who was a heck of a nice guy!
Some wonderful Cleveland public art and my cute little ballerina!
Namaste urban pioneers! Get out there and make positive change no matter how small.




Leave me your thoughts
on any of this
in the Comments Section below.


Get my blog posts sent right to you!
Put your e-mail address under
FOLLOW BY EMAIL
on the right menu and click Submit.


LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.

Click on ads on this page and make me a couple of cents!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment