Thursday, May 15, 2014

Neighbors Make a Difference Day

5/14/2014 - I promised myself that, if I did get the opportunity to move to Cleveland, I would do more volunteer work than my 0 hours in previous years. Sure this blog does some good by getting the word out to about 30 people and shows some of them the benefits of living in Cleveland... but it's all just talk, if I don't go out and do something to better my community. My 1st opportunity, Neighbors Make a Difference Day.

This is actually the first time I've heard of this day but it make sense since it seems to be a Key/Indians community outreach thing. One day a month or 2 ago my co-worker Eli came to me and asked if I was volunteering for Neighbors day. After he explained what that was, I didn't really have to think about whether to do it or not. I got to put a check next to the volunteering pledge I made myself AND... I got to miss a half a day of work! No-brainer in my mind. There were a list of projects that we could sign up for but because I'm new here and only know a handful of people, I said to just sign me up for whatever he was doing.

Not choosing a Cleveland project myself didn't disappointed me too much but only because I had a tie to where I was volunteering... Parma! Yes, my old stomping grounds and home to the pink flamingo yard decoration. We were going to pick up garbage and do some mulching at the West Creek Reservation Metro Parks off of Broadview and Ridgewood. Parts of the reservation were a dump long ago but now it is a beautiful 324 acre park with trees and paths and the newly built Keystone Reserve Shelter which is a pretty amazing picnic pavilion and our meeting place. It's rented out a year in advance so make your reservations for this little reservation today. Booo to word play!

When I pulled up the rain was just stopping and it was starting to get warm again. It was almost like Mother Nature knew I was going to be outside. Her and I have a thing. I got out of the car with my boots on ready to walk in some mud and pick up garbage. The first thing I noticed was that I was the only one not wearing a red shirt... I must have missed that part of the e-mail. Oops. No worries though. I zipped up my green jacket and just kept repeating "Sorry, I'm new." Needless to say I won't be making any promotional pictures or videos this year. All that handsomeness wasted.

The Metro Parks guy got us organized and off we went. Eli and I worked our way around the park picking up all sorts of goodies - beer and pop bottles, a pair of shoes, a flip flop, candy wrappers, underwear with skulls on it (Gina!), you know... fun stuff. I found a lot of Rolling Rock cans out there which must be the drink of choice for Parma burnouts partying in the woods. Back in my day we drank Zima but that was a different more care free time. I felt compelled to put a link in there for Zima after watching a recent Modern Family. Anyways, we covered a lot of ground, shot the shit, and filled our bags with garbage. We both began to notice the cold breeze that started to blow through the park around the same time and decided to head back to the pavilion before the downpour came. Again, thanks to my mythical boo Mother Nature, we arrived just in time to be out of the tsunami that hit the area like a watery freight train.

Even though my volunteering day was cut short by rain, it felt good. I selflessly did something for the benefit of the community. Volunteering is they way that the little things get done. It's the way parks stay beautiful, neighborhoods stay together, and people show that they truly care about the area that they live in. If you have the time, pick a project and volunteer your time for the betterment of your surroundings. Don't even worry about it being too small or insignificant. It's all about being a part some something positive.

I'll also be volunteering for the Gay Games in August so, if you stop down, look for me and say HI! I'll know more about where and when soon. I'm trying to work Ping Pong and Volleyball that the Convention Center or the Festival Village on Mall C.



Click to Enlarge
In other news, I'm unfortunately going to miss the Cleveland Asian Festival for the 1st time in 3 years this weekend. I love this festival but have way too much going on Saturday to make it and then I'm flying out Sunday to Dallas for work. It's the fastest growing cultural festival in the state, is free to attend, and includes free parking! The food is top notch, the merch is great, and they always seem to get the best Asian entertainment. It also draws festival goers into an area that you may not usually hear about on the news or get into during a visit. AsiaTown is a neighborhood just northwest of CSU on the other side of 90. If you love Asian food or culture, you have to go to this festival. If you can't make it (like me) pick an afternoon and go to one of the many restaurants and/or indoor malls in the area. It way more authentic than what you find in a suburban strip mall. This little gem doesn't get the recognition that it deserves but it really should.



Leave me comments on 
where you volunteer
in the Comments Section below.

Get my blog posts sent right to you 
by putting your e-mail address under 
FOLLOW BY EMAIL 
on the right menu and clicking Submit.

LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by 
clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or
the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment