Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Greek Festival and Memorial Day

Lesson of the weekend... you're 34 and you need to lift with your legs. All this moving caught up with me this weekend and put me down with a pulled muscle. Luckily for me I dealt with a bad back for most of high school so I knew to stretch, ice, heat, and repeat. The added knowledge of my 20's taught me that alcohol numbs the pain so I did that too. I'm still a bit tender but much better.

5/25/14 - Tremont Greek Festival

Gina and I headed to the Tremont Greek Festival again this year for some great food, music, and shopping. The weather is finally starting to turn our gray backdrop into summer and the cabin fevered masses came out to enjoy the holiday weekend. I loved seeing all of the people congregating to my neighborhood to celebrate summer, the Greek people, and their contributions to our great city. The 3 day festival is really a great time and is something you should definitely attend. You not only get to go and enjoy Greek heritage but the Tremont neighborhood is filled with things to do if you decide to venture out. 

Gina and I started out at the festival. The 2 block walk to the church was filled with people in summer attire. It was finally summer and we were ready for some outdoor fun. The festival was packed with people and I was happy to see that the crowd was bigger than last year. We grabbed some delicious gyros and a pitcher of beer for lunch. I felt compelled to order "yeeroes" so I didn't sound out of place by saying "jiroes". Kinda snobby but when in Rome... or... Greece right? We ate and listened to some authentic Greek music. People were dancing and yelling "Opa"! It was quite a sight. I learned that I look very Greek because some of the older people would speak to me in their native language and I had no idea what to say back. I mostly smiled, nodded, and said Opa! I think that was good enough because they were off to dancing again with a smile on their face.

We wonder around looking at the goods for sale. Gina bought a great ring and a flower clip for her hair. She looked great in both. The variety was impressive and the prices were right. These little pieces all come together to create an inviting and entertaining festival. These ethnic celebrations including Dyngus Day and the Asian Festival help us realize that Cleveland, like America, is a melting pot and our backgrounds should be celebrated. Each of these groups have come together and are a part of the DNA that makes up our great city. Their contributions have made Cleveland what it is today.

Afterwards we went to Edison's Pub and had a great piece of pizza and lots of drinks. It's a great bar and the bartenders and patrons were very nice and inviting. It made for a great experience and we'll for sure be back.



5/26/2014 - Memorial Day

I spent 2 summers looking at this dock.
For Memorial day Gina and I got some delicious brunch at Southside and headed to an old stomping ground of mine, Atwood Lake. My parents had a cabin and a boat there when I was young. I also worked at the West Marina in college as a dock boy. I got bait and pumped gas. It was by far the best job I've ever had.

My parents put their boat in Atwood this summer after it being at Berlin for the past few years. Since they were in North Carolina for my brother John's birthday, I decided to go for a joyride around the lake. The water was still a bit too cold to swim so we just cruised around. There was no wind and the sun was shining. It was a great day. I shared all my stories of working at the marina and living at the cabin for weeks at a time with Gina. It's a time in my life I hardly talk about because it's not as entertaining as other parts but they are fun memories to re-hatch. 

We threw down anchor at the islands and dipped our feet in the water. I thought about my grandpa Ruflin who served our country in WWII. I love the stories he tells me about the war when I see him. I thought about my cousin Patrick who served in both Iraq wars. I remembered living with his family when he was overseas. I remembered my grandpa Vozar and even though he didn't serve, he worked at Ford and helped make this country great. I thought of him, my grandma, and my uncle Huddy who have passed and how much I miss them all. Memorial day is a day to memorialize all who have passed before us and their contributions to our country no matter what they did. We are all here because of them.




Leave me comments on 
your favorite festival
in the Comments Section below.

Get my blog posts sent right to you 
by putting your e-mail address under 
FOLLOW BY EMAIL 
on the right menu and then clicking Submit.

LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by 
clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or
the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment