Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Unique Restaurants and Furniture Painting

6/20/2015 - The Terrace Club
Gina's cousin Kerry and I went to an Indians game without her a few Saturday's ago since Gina truly believes everyone in Stark county will die if she doesn't have constant contact with either the ground inside of the county boarders or contact with someone currently living in Stark county. Go ahead, ask her about it. It's literally a debilitating phobia she has that keeps the fuel companies in business. I've asked her to go to therapy but she insists on seeing a therapist in North Canton so I just gave up and started painting furniture to waste the lonely time between when I get off of work at 4 and when she comes home from work at 8:30 pm...but more about that later.

The game was whatever other than it was the slowest game of all time and we won BUT the thing I liked the most was finally getting a chance to eat at the Terrance Club. Yes, that cool little collection of windows in left field is a very nice restaurant with beautiful views of the field. I remember hearing people talk about this place when the stadium 1st opened as if it was a 5-star respite for the elite of the suburban elite. Remember this was when we sold out every home game for like 10 years straight and you got on your knees and kissed feet when you got the chance to get your hands on a pair of tickets. Anyways, 20 some years later and I finally get my chance to step foot into it...as long as we left by 15 minutes before game time...I remember that because we were told 82 times. I guess there's still a bit of exclusion in the air.

Our view.
I have to say that overall this was a great experience. The service was very attentive and almost to the point of being pleasantly annoying...probably because of the whole hard out/deadline thing. The food choices were unique but certainly had one foot in ballpark tradition ie. pretzel buns, sausages, etc... Very creative. The views of the field were top notch. I couldn't imagine being one of the lucky few who are able to do whatever needed to be done (or buy whatever needed bought) in order to be able to sit here during the game...but alas I bought a Hummer H3 about 4 days before gas prices shot up to $4 a gallon so I sit with the rest of the schlubs...and when I say schlubs I mean the other team's fans. You guys are cool.

The Terrace Club is the glassy jagged area in left field.

6/28/2015 - Momocho
Gina and I have both wanted to eat at Momocho for some time because we've heard so many good things about it. I'm glad we were able to cross it off our list because, like she tends to do, Gina added the name of this restaurant to her short-term memory vocabulary and would blurt it out at least once a day for oh about 3 months when we would make plans...except every time she said it, it would be different. "Momocho". "Mamecho". "Mamacita's". "Mama Ilardo's". McDonald's. Achi-Machi's. It was like toothless hillbillies playing a game of telephone (or as they call it "queer can on a string word game"). I'm sure I could tell you more of them but after awhile I just shoved each of our cats deep into each of my ears and kept nodding...still I'm sure at least one of them was "Meow".

We met Gina's cousin Helene there for dinner on Sunday night. The restaurant is in a great little area tucked away in Ohio City - lots of trees and old houses. The build is unique and the decor, as in places like this, is also a bit interesting but in that "you've never or will never see this all together again" way. It's dark. It looks like everything was handmade. There are lots of pictures of masked wrestlers. Oh and at least 2 bicycles pimped out Mex-ee-cano style...think the movie Next Friday. I love this type of style where you find a niche and go nuts with it. Walking in, getting a drink at the bar, and leaving would be worth the trip...although you'd be missing out on so much more.

There are flights of a lot of stuff on the menu. Usually you get a flight of beer or wine. We got a flight of margaritas and...wait for it...guacamole. So yes, we all like some guacamole from time to time with chips and maybe on a subway sandwich but this place takes the green stuff to a whole different level. By the time we were ordering entrees, we had all but devoured the 3 largest bowls of pimped out guac that I had ever seen. One had bacon in it. One had goat cheese. One had salmon...yup fish. Completely blew us away. There were other wonderful things in there as well but go eat it for yourselves baby birds. I'm done feeding you.

Gina got pork belly soft tacos and even though it was spelled out right there on the menu, it was a shock to her when they put it down in front of her. She's so f#cking cute sometimes! They were delish. I got... ok now please swallow all your saliva and find your nearest trash can just in case... cow tongue...cut up like pastrami. Yup, it was a roast beef looking cow tongue that you eat with some other delicious stuff in a soft shelled flour tortilla. I think I almost got Gina to puke when I called it "frenching Bessy". It was great and best of all is that I can now write this story about them taking a long cow tongue (I have now spelled tongue 13 different ways...all wrong...SPELL CHECK!), putting it in a deli meat slicer, and it just slicing through taste buds and all. Then I ate it! I'm sure there was cooking and seasoning in there somewhere but it's not important to the point. It was great! The margaritas were great too. So was the patio. This place is just awesome! Unique in every way as far as this poorly traveled guy from Ohio is concerned. For me it's definitely up there as far as favorites in Cleveland go and that's saying something...or nothing. It depends on who you are and if you like me.

Painting Furniture
Recently I've started paining furniture. I either get the furniture for free or from second hand places for cheap. I paint it all up nice and eventually, once I spray them all with clear protective enamel, I'll sell them. I'm not sure how? Probably to people on Facebook and then on like Craig's list or something.

It's a nice hobby to go to on those rainy summer days and/or a way to pass the time until Gina gets home from work. I find it relaxing and love to see the finished products. If I was a better/richer man (in one way or another), I wouldn't mind making this my profession. I however am not in that position at this time so, for now, it's just a hobby.



This little telephone table will be my 1st experience with reupholstering along with painting it. I actually tried to do the reupholstering myself without any experience and it turned out looking awful. Back to the drawing board for sure. I have faith in the colors and in my painting skills though so it'll be ready for that new seat covered with a clearance shower curtain and stuffed with a clearance pillow I cut open. Cheap and creative...it's the only way you can make a buck in this world...Well, I guess you could steal it...or work real hard...but artists are creative and I'm lazy so this is what I'm going to do. BTW Gina wants to keep these all so if you want to buy one from me, please don't believe her when she says we aren't selling them. She has a problem.

To loosely quote a infamous preacher, "Don't just sit there urban pioneers...DO SOMETHING!" Off to NYC this weekend for a much needed vacation with Gina, my brother John, and his gf Brooke. I love NYC and can't wait to be surrounded by tall buildings and shoulder to shoulder with tons of people. OK love you buh bye.



Leave me your thoughts
on any of this
in the Comments Section below.


Get my blog posts sent right to you!
Put your e-mail address under
FOLLOW BY EMAIL
on the right menu and click Submit.


LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.

Click on ads on this page and make me a couple of cents!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment