Friday, December 5, 2014

Holly Jolly CLEVmas!

11/30/2014 - It's that time of year again folks. Twinkling lights, Christmas Ale, leg lamps, and creepy elf dolls... it's officially Christmas time (since it's now after 12/1). Now you may know that I have a hate/hate relationship with the Christmas season since it has been decorated with most of the lowest moments in my life over the years... I speak of course from the glass half empty, 1st person, not able to see the big picture perspective. One thing I do enjoy doing during the holiday season is going downtown to see the lights and decorations. Last year was my first time doing this... well because I did indeed live under a rock... and I loved it!... not the rock. The lights. I think it's mainly because we get to add some color to an otherwise grey urban palate. Lights remind you of Time Square or Broadway and just make things festive. Plus it means Christmas is coming and you get presents! Spoken like a true child at heart, right?

I can't really say how long Cleveland's been doing the Winterfest/Tree-lighting thing downtown but I've heard and read that it's a heck of a fun time. And just like me in 2012, I've never actually been to Winterfest or to a Tree Lighting ceremony in person... but this year I did read lots of articles about it!:
Unfortunately I missed out on all of the fun but be sure that next year I will be attending this AND the Cleveland Air Show! Write it on your calendar in pen folks. Oh and if I die before those 2 things, one of you has to be in charge of taking my ashes to both. Promises are promises people.

Oh Christmas Tree! Oh Christmas Tree! You aren't as big as you should be...
So because I missed Winterfest this year I had to make a special trip to take some pictures and see what Christmas in Playhouse Square looks like. No better way to travel on a November day where it was 60 degrees than on bikes! Zagster bikes to be exact. We rented them from the station next to Lincoln Park about 3 blocks from us. They were super easy to rent using the Zagster App and were basically brand new. $3 an hour and if you return it in under an hour, your ride is free! It comes with a lock, a front basket, and a back shelf thingy. Very convenient for when I make Gina ride it with me to get groceries from the West Side Market. It's an urbanist's dream come true!

We rode out of Tremont and across the Lorain/Carnagie bridge. This bridge confuses me to no end... want to know why? IT'S UPHILL BOTH WAYS!!! How in the hell did the people who designed this bridge pull that off. It wasn't bad when I had all that beginner's endurance and strength but boy did it suck on the way home.

Driving through downtown was kind of a breeze. We stayed in our bike lane and things were quiet for the most part. It was like 5 pm on a Sunday so it was in no way rush hour but you'll hear no complaints from me. A thuggy fella did long-honk his horn at Gina but I'm sure he was just saying "Hello" and not "Get the Hell out of the street"... maybe it was "Nice booty baby!"? If that's the case, I'm sure he was honking at me.

I'll have to say that when we got to Playhouse Square (which I love anyways), I fell in love with the glitz and twinkle of Christmas all over again. There were a lot of people like us there taking in the sites and enjoying the strange warm weather. The Christmas tree was in Star Plaza which was the logical place for it. It was medium sized for an outdoor decoration and covered... COVERED in lights. All of the other trees were decorated in lights as well as some of the iconic Playhouse Square sites. All of the holiday lighting mixed with the theater marquees and the GE Chandelier made this place feel like it could be the best place on earth to be at Christmas time. When the tree and decorations return to Public Square after it's renovated, Playhouse Square should consider doing their own tree and decorations from now on... if they don't already. It really is something that everyone should see.

I only added a few pictures because you should stop living vicariously through this blog and get down there to check it out for yourself! Bring your kids. Bring your parents and listen to their stories of going downtown at Christmas while you take it all in. There are no excuses for missing this!

After taking it all in we grabbed a bite to eat at Phuel cafe right there by the tree. Our food was great, healthy, and reasonably priced for the area! They have lot of veggie and gluten free options along with a variety of delicious drinks and smoothies. If you're lucky, you'll get our waitress too who was very nice and quite entertaining. I recommend stopping into Phuel if you are in the area... and you will be!!! Remember, no excuses!

This was an wonderful afternoon of firsts for me and I love those kind of days. First ride on a Zagster bike. First time riding a bike downtown. First time seeing Playhouse Square during Christmas time. First time seeing downtown lights with Gina. First time at Phuel Cafe. First time seeing Johnny football score a touchdown! Other than the loss, it was a good day!
Happy Holidays Cleveland!
Well Gina and I started at the Tremont Athletic Club on Monday so more to come about that. We've been to 2 Cavs games... both wins! Our 2 year anniversary is today (Friday) and I've got some fun in store for that but I'm not going to spoil it here today. I'm dressing a concrete goose on our porch in seasonal outfits and hiding a stupid elf named Sadie around our apartment. Oh the things you do for love huh? You know even though I have to keep her entertained like a kindergarten teacher some days, this whole experience wouldn't be the same without her. Well buenas noches land of the cleve! When it comes to cities, you are mi amor. >>>OUT!




Leave me your thoughts
on any of this
in the Comments Section below.


Get my blog posts sent right to you!
Put your e-mail address under
FOLLOW BY EMAIL
on the right menu and click Submit.


LikeShareStar, and +1 the blog on Social Media by clicking either the Buttons below after Posted by or the Icons below the comments at the bottom of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment